TMD / TMJ Treatment for Headaches in Daly City, CA
If you experience migraine headaches or chronic neck, face, or jaw pain, you may be suffering from TMD, or temporomandibular joint disorder.
The TMJ, or temporomandibular joint, connects the jaw and skull in front of each ear. Because this joint is used regularly for eating and talking, it is considered the most used joint in the body. The surrounding nerves and muscles quickly tighten in pain when tension or damage occurs to the joint.
Dr. Hovden, DDS, and our skilled team are here to help you diagnose the cause of your TMJ disorder and find a comfortable, pain-relieving solution. We can offer headache relief and reduce other TMD symptoms with TMJ treatment, which vary according to the cause and severity of your TMJ disorder.
Dr. Hovden is a highly trained dentist in San Mateo County who has won several awards and accreditation for his excellence in restorative cosmetic dentistry. He has worked with some of the top dentists from across the world to teach and learn the most modern dental techniques.
Symptoms of TMJ Disorder (TMD):
- Tension or migraine headaches.
- Vertigo or dizziness.
- Diminished hearing or vision.
- Neck, jaw, or back pain.
- Tinnitus, or ringing in ears.
- Clicking, locking, or popping of jaw.
TMJ Syndrome Causes and TMJ Treatments
TMD is most commonly caused from a misaligned bite. As the surrounding neck, jaw, and face muscles strain to correct the misalignment, painful tension is the result. Other causes of damage or stress to the TMJ include teeth grinding (bruxism), arthritis, jaw dislocation, and injury.
- Bite Alignment: If Dr. Hovden concludes that your TMJ syndrome is caused by a bite misalignment, we will design a specialized plan for realigning your jaw to its natural and most comfortable position. When the jaw is in its proper place, the surrounding muscles and joints are no longer strained, thus relieving any pain that you are experiencing.
- TMJ Dental Appliance: Kenneth Hovden, DDS, also provides splints and mouth guards that can reposition the jaw and relieve neck, jaw, and head pain.
- Medication: Some cases of TMD require an anti-inflammatory medication to soothe the pain. You can learn about the available options when you come in for an initial dental consultation.
- Hot and Cold Therapy: Hot and cold are alternately applied to the affected area, soothing the muscles and joints for reduced pain.
- Movement Reduction: You can begin soothing your TMJ pain by removing tough foods and gum from your diet. Excessive chewing and movement can further aggravate your TMJ. Reduce these until you can have a dental professional diagnose and treat your TMD.
Find Headache Relief in the South San Francisco Area With Dr. Hovden, DDS
To experience jaw pain relief and reduce headaches, call our South San Francisco area dental office near Pacifica today. You can also fill out the simple form on this page to schedule an initial consultation with Dr. Kenneth Hovden, DDS.