According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 25% of adults over 65 have no remaining teeth. Many people with missing no teeth choose dentures. But dentures are not without issues, and there is a state-of-the-art alternative, at Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City.
13 Problems With Dentures
1. Dentures usually fit properly at first, but the mouth changes as you age. Normal wear and tear take their toll. Eventually, the dentures will need to be relined or replaced. But even quality dentures which fit properly cause issues, both physical and mental.
2. The human body is designed to have teeth that are fixed in the jaw. But dentures move around in the mouth.
3. Ill-fitting dentures can aggravate gums and cause inflammation. Inflammation can result in additional health conditions.
4. Dentures can change a person’s bite which impacts the temporomandibular (jaw) joint. This, in turn, can result in pain in the face, neck, and head.
5. Dentures trap bits of food. This can result in gum disease. Partial dentures can increase the risk of decay in remaining teeth.
6. Dentures can make food taste different or mask the taste entirely. This can result in deficient nutrition.
7. Some people with dentures start eating smaller meals which can lead to weight loss.
8. Dentures can take the pleasure out of eating. This can influence emotional health. (Enjoying a meal is often the best part of the day, don’t you agree?)
9. Inadequate calorie consumption lowers energy levels. This affects the capacity to work, travel, and participate in hobbies and recreational activities.
10. Dentures stymie chewing capacity. Many denture wearers stop eating nuts, high-fiber foods, and raw vegetables. All of these are part of a healthy diet.
11. Reduced chewing power can cause the denture wearer to swallow bigger chunks of food. This can result in digestive problems. It also increases the risk of choking.
12. Dentures can interfere with speaking. When speaking ability is limited, some individuals avoid social situations and are at a greater risk for depression.
13. Missing teeth eventually result in bone loss. When the jaw no longer has tooth roots, it shrinks and recedes.
Dental Implants Prevent These Problems
Dental implants enable you to avoid these health issues.
Dental implants are titanium posts inserted into your jaw. Once it fuses with the bone, it provides a solid base of support, much like a natural tooth root. One implant can support one artificial tooth, and several can support dentures.
Dental implants from Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City may be the best investment you make. Please call our office to schedule an appointment. We also offer a full range of general dentistry services. Call today!
Contact Kenneth Hovden DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):