You may not be able to say how and why all the components of a great smile blend in perfect harmony. But you know it when you see it. At Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City, we use cosmetic dentistry to create beautiful smiles.
You may be surprised at how many details go into planning for a smile makeover. Here are a few of the most obvious components:
- Tooth Color: shade, brightness, uniformity
- Tooth alignment: straight or crooked?
- Tooth size and proportions: are some teeth much larger or smaller than the rest?
- Tooth spacing: is there crowding or big gaps between teeth?
- Gumline margins: how much gum shows when you smile?
Here are some other cosiderations that may be less familiar to the layperson:
- The portions of the teeth that are visible when the mouth is at rest
- The relationship of the smile line and the lip line
- Zenith points: the highest point of the gumline in relation to the center of the tooth
- Midline placement: the smile should be centered in the middle of the lips, mouth, and face
- Mesial inclination: the tops of the teeth should angle slightly away from the midline
If essential design principles are not adhered to, the smile may look ‘off’. Or it could impact the function of the teeth and jaw. For example, a smile transformation carried out by an inexperienced cosmetic dentist could change the patient’s bite and put unnecessary stress on the restorations.
At Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City cosmetic dentistry has improved countless smiles for our patients. You could be next! Patients come to our office from San Mateo, Pacifica, and Half Moon Bay for dental implants, and other services. Call us to schedule an appointment today!
Contact Kenneth Hovden DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
901 Campus Dr Ste 202
Daly City, California