Quite often, people freak out if their dental crown moves or comes off completely. This is understandable, but at Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City we advise remaining cool, calm, and collected.
Here is what to do if your crown comes off.
There are three steps:
1. First things first, find your crown if it has come off completely. If you think you may have unwittingly swallowed it, it’s not the end of the world. This is fairly common. You will need to have a new one made. Whereas the original may be reattached if you find it in your mouth. As long as it’s not damaged.
2. The second thing you need to do is call your dentist. If you’re still going to the same dental practice that originally put it in, they might put it back free of charge. Especially if you got the crown recently.
If you have moved, or don’t currently have a dentist, give us a call. We’ll reattach it for a reasonable rate.
Remember these two important things:
- Even if we didn’t perform the crown procedure, we can re-attach it for you.
- If the crown is broken, we can fabricate a replacement crown in one visit.
3. What if your crown comes off after business hours or on the weekend?
You can glue it back on while waiting for an appointment. This will protect the exposed tooth. Remember, the tooth is not as strong as an uncrowned tooth.
To reattach it, we recommend using denture adhesive. You can find it at a drugstore.
Follow the directions on the adhesive. To be certain it sets, softly bite down on the crown while the adhesive is still wet. Be extra careful while waiting for your appointment. Eat soft foods so you don’t damage the tooth.
At Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City we place dental crowns every day. People from San Mateo, Pacifica, and Half Moon Bay come to us for complete general dentistry. Schedule an appointment today!
Contact Kenneth Hovden DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):
901 Campus Dr Ste 202
Daly City, California