Our teeth work hard and are constantly under attack. It’s no wonder that nature encases them with an armor of enamel—the hardest substance in the body. Unfortunately, enamel erosion is always at work. On the bright side, with regular flossing and brushing and checkups at Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City, it is also largely preventable.
Enamel’s chief enemies are acidic foods and beverages. Other factors that can weaken enamel or wear it away are some medications, tooth grinding, acid reflux, gastrointestinal conditions, chewing ice or other hard substances, and eating disorders.
At Kenneth Hovden DDS, we educate our patients about how to keep their enamel strong and halt additional erosion if some has already taken place.
Here are five quick facts about enamel erosion:
- Enamel is unlike many other tissues in the body; once it has been worn away, it can’t be regenerated.
- According to the NIH, 41% of adolescents already have enamel erosion.
- Aggressive brushing can damage enamel.
- Diet sodas, sports drinks, and energy drinks are just as detrimental as sugared sodas.
- Dry mouth can weaken enamel because it results in less saliva which helps keep enamel healthy and strong.
If you have already experienced enamel erosion, it’s vital to prevent it from going any further. There are several dental procedures that can protect the teeth that have been compromised. Call Kenneth Hovden DDS in Daly City to schedule an examination. We offer general dentistry, and specialties like dental implants. Make an appointment today.
Contact Kenneth Hovden DDS:
Location (Tap to open in Google Maps):